Thursday, January 23, 2014

All There Is


It’s hard to follow up on a post like the last one. What do you do after telling your engagement story? 
Well, apparently, you start talking about plans and the date and life for the next…rest of life. My life is changing. Dramatically. Wonderfully. Amazingly. 
I wanted this to happen. I’m thrilled that it has. And I never wanted my life to stay the same for very long. But still, my reaction to all this looming change is not always joy and excitement. There are times that it’s something akin to terror. 
I can’t count the number of times the Bible tells me not to fear. God says fear not, he says be of good courage, he even puts the fearful in the same category as unbelievers and liars. Fear is nothing less than a complete lack of faith in God.
Sometimes I am fearful. I am afraid at times that I can’t write, for example. I am afraid that my decisions will be mistakes. I am afraid that I won’t be able to handle something, that I will hurt people I care about, that I will fail at the things that matter most in life.
But even if I have legitimate reasons to be afraid, even if I am facing something I’ve never dealt with before, even if the reasons to worry are building up, even if this was just a bad day, to fear is not just unhelpful, it’s wrong. 
God has promised that He will take care of me. I have given my life to Him and he has taken me to places I could never have imagined. I have been afraid so many times before and seen Him work. Even when things went wrong, He has brought good things out of it. 
I don’t know how to do everything that is ahead, and I don’t know what kind of mistakes I will make. But I do know that if I keep my eyes on Jesus, the fears that overwhelm me when I look at the world will fade away. This life is such a tiny part of all there is, anyway.