Thursday, October 31, 2013

Interview with Stefan Capuchet


“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” 
~ G.K. Chesterton



Often when I come up with new characters, I answer a list of questions about them in order to learn more about them and have a record of important things like where they grew up and what they look like. I call this a "character interview." Here is an abbreviated version of the interview with Stefan Capuchet.
Stefan Capuchet lives in the mountains of the Golden State, a monarchy/dictatorship in which the queen punishes any "unstateful activities" with torture and death. With his brother, Loup (pronounced Lu-pe), he leads a band of rebels and outlaws. 

Basic Information:
Full birth name: Stefan Mikal Capuchet
Age: Twenty-nine
Story Title: Story is currently known as "fantases" for lack of a title.
Time period: Fictional
World: Fantasy

What do you look like?
Height: 6’
Weight: 200 lbs
Apparent age: Mid twenties
Ethnicity: Lower Golden State 
Hair: Dark Brown
Eyes: Black
Skin color: Fair
Scars: Small three cornered scar above his right eye
Jewelry: His father’s wedding ring on a chain around his neck.
Normal clothes: Black, loose-fitting, warm clothing, heavy cloak with a hood when it’s cold.
Weapons: Sword, knives, hand gun, rifle
Right or left handed? Right

Personality:
What is your most important goal? "To give the people of the Golden State a reason to believe that they can have freedom, to give them hope that someone is fighting."
What are you most afraid of? "I am most afraid of giving up. I have seen many men become discouraged and give up and I do not want to do that. I want to die believing in what I am fighting for."
If you were left alone for a day to do whatever you wanted to do, anywhere in the world, what would it be? "I would get into the Golden Palace and assassinate Queen Morra."
What does (or did) your mother wish you would stop doing? "My mother, God rest her soul, wished passionately that I would not fidget my hands when I am listening to people talk."
What annoys you more than anything else? "People who walk around complaining that they don’t know what to do when there is everything in the world to do."
What’s one of the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen? "Sunlight on the mountains across the valley."
What time of day is your favorite? "Sunrise."
What is the quality you most like in a woman? "I like a woman to have spunk and confidence in herself."
What is the quality you most like in a man? "Men should have passion and principle."
Where do you go and what do you do when you’re angry? "I usually tell the person off and then walk away to cool down. Then, later, I apologize. Sometimes."
What do you consider the most overrated virtue? "Caution."
Under what circumstances do you lie? "To my enemies, whenever necessary. To my friends, never."

Family:
What was your father’s full birth name? "Mikal Anderson Capuchet."
What was your mother’s full birth name? "Estelle Maria Brannet."
How many siblings did you have? Where are they now? "I have one younger brother, Loup. We work together as outlaws."

Relationships:
What was your parents marital status? "Married, of course."
Have you ever experienced the death of a loved one? "Both my mother and father have died."
Have you ever had a romantic relationship? With whom? "No, I’ve always been too much out here. Loup has a sweet, patient girl in the valley that he's going to marry someday, but the girls I like aren’t the kind to wait around." 
Are you friends with a lot of people or just a few? "Just a few. There are only a few people out here that aren’t common criminals."
Who do you like the most? Why? "My brother Loup. We’ve been through everything together."
Who do you dislike the most? Why? "Her so called “Majesty The Golden Queen” Morra Jesanova. Because she’s the queen. And she's evil."
What traits do you most appreciate in your friends? "Loyalty, dedication, and courage."

Occupation:
Do you have a job? If not, where does your money come from? “I’m an outlaw. My money comes from the rich, and it goes to those who need it more than I do. We have plenty of food and a place to live. We only need money once in a while.”
What is the most important thing to you politically? “Freedom!”
What do you consider your greatest achievement? “Kidnapping a high ranking official of the Golden State. We made the top commander of the Peace Guardians promise to never come past the Jacayah Ridge, in exchange for his return. So now we have a safe haven in these mountains. Not that we trust his promise, but it was still a great achievement.”
What is something you had to learn that you hated? “I had to learn to act like a Golden State official as a disguise. They’re such snakes. I hate pretending to be one of them.”

Beliefs:
What do you think is wrong with the world? “People have too many wrong ideas about what is right for the world.”
What religion would you describe yourself as? “Religion is not encouraged in the Golden State. I don’t know that any of them still exist.”
What is your relationship with God like? “I don’t know enough about him, and I don’t know anyone who does. I mean, people think things, but I don’t know anyone who’s sure.”
When was the last time you cried? “When we came upon a village in the Golden State that had been razed to the ground to make room for a new facility. They had piled the bodies ready for mass burial. There were children…and the soldiers that are supposed to be the Peace Guardians just kept doing their job. They didn’t care that they’d just killed a whole town full of innocent people just because they were in the way.”
What would you do to your worst human enemy? “Queen Morra? I’d shoot her dead.”
What is your idea of perfect happiness? “A world where there is freedom and everyone knows anything they want, instead of what the State wants them to know.”
What is your idea of the deepest misery? “Being so brainwashed that you don’t realize that you’re killing people, like those Peace Guardians.”
Where and how would you like to die? “After I see that we have done something. I don’t care how, but I want to see us make some difference. And I believe we can.”
What do you think happens to people after they die? “I don’t know. I don’t think anyone knows. At least, I’ve never met someone who does.”

Stefan eventually meets someone from outside the Golden State who is sure about who God is, and knows what happens when people die. That's all I can tell you.

Some of these questions I found on other people's character interview forms, some of them I came up with myself, and some of them come from personality quiz questions. It's a fun way to get to know a character. I cut quite a few questions from this one for the sake of keeping it short. Well, at least shorter than it would have been!